Thailand is vibrant, intriguing, and exotic. For families, it has awesome shopping, irresistible food and incredible stop and flop resorts. Bangkok and Phuket are still Thailand’s biggest draw. But don’t let their dazzle divert you. If you’re planning to explore Thailand with kids – add in a few hidden gems from this list to make the adventure unforgetable.
Here are twelve of our favourite adventures for kids in Thailand.
1. Bangkok has more than 400 wats (temples) including the Grand Palace temple, the giant reclining Buddha of Wat Pho, and the Temple of the Buddha which houses the largest solid-gold Buddha in the world.
2. Take the ferry down the Chao Praya River, Thailand’s most important waterway. Kids love to ride on a long tail boat through the klongs (canals) to see how the locals live.
3. Like a bit more adrenaline in your holiday? Dream World Bangkok offers exciting rides in Adventure Land, Fantasy Land, Dream Garden and the novel winter-themed Snow Land.
4. Head to Central Thailand with kids to visit the World Heritage-listed ruins of the capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Ayutthaya, a fascinating complex of colossal Buddhist monuments, temples and crumbling stone.
5. Kanchanaburi is another great spot for families who enjoy getting back to nature. Best known for its river, the River Khwae, and the notorious bridge that crossed it. For something out of the ordinary stay at the floating hotel, River Kwai Jungle Rafts.
6. Chiang Mai is Thailand’s second largest city and an ideal base to explore the mountains and villages. The Elephant Nature Park on the outskirts of the city provides sanctuary for more than 30 elephants. Many of these elephants were victims of abuse and mistreatment. This is one of the few truly ethical places in Thailand to get up close to these gorgeous giants.
7. Neighbouring Chiang Rai, with its minority hill tribes, is a fantastic place to introduce your tribe to Ancient Thai traditions. For the ultimate immersive and educational experience try a homestay with a hill tribe family.
8. Phuket’s clear blue sea, secluded beaches and family-friendly resorts will weave its magic around your family.
9. A leisurely day trip cruising through the dramatic limestone islands and sensational beaches of Phang Nga Bay, home of the famous James Bond Island, is a lovely way to spend a day.
10. Away from the beaches kids will love flying from tree to tree via zip lines at Flying Hanuman, or taking to the slides at the epic Splash Jungle Waterpark.
11. Hua Hin, home to the King of Thailand’s summer palace, caters to non-royal visitors with a nice selection of kid-friendly resorts, a powdery sand beach and loads of water-based activities.
12. Stunning scenery, secluded beaches and amazing snorkelling in the warm coastal waters are just the icings on Krabi’s very pretty cake. Families should visit the Tiger Cave Temple mountain shrine.