The Katherine region is perfect for families who are passionate about the great outdoors, who love adventure and relaxation in equal measure.
Stay in Katherine for a few days to soak up the spectacular scenery with its unique combination of natural wonders to discover; with waterfalls, gorges, thermal springs, meanderings rivers and awe inspiring rock formations.
Kid’s also have plenty of opportunities to learn more about the early settlers in the area and the local Aboriginal communities.
Start your day with a bushwalk or kayak adventure at Nitmiluk National. Paddling through one of the famous gorges of the Katherine river will wow kids and parents alike. In the afternoon slow down the pace and stay in the shade. Take a short stroll from Mataranka Homestead to the thermal pools, the whole family will love the novelty of swimming in the sandy bottomed pool surrounded by palm trees and wildlife.
Finish your day with an entertaining outdoor dinner experience at Marksie’s Stockman’s Camp Tucker night. If all this tires you out, there are also plenty of quiet picnic spots to rest under the shady forest canopies.
1. Take a dip at the Katherine Hot Springs.
2. Explore one of the many bushwalking tracks in the Nitmiluk National Park.
3. Have a close encounter with a waterfall at Edith Falls.
4. Paddle your kayak down the Katherine River and through stunning gorges.
5. Chill out in the Mataranka Thermal Pools.
6. Take a boat cruise down the Katherine River.
7. Set up your picnic blanket in the shade at Lake Copperfield.
8. Make your own aboriginal style artwork at Top Didj.
9. Be wowed by the limestone columns at the Cutta Cutta Caves.
10. Cuddle a joey at the Indigenous Cultural Experience centre.